Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack Obama Wins: America Can Be Proud



My sister called me today. She was on her way to visit her daughter and new grandson, and was stuck at a railroad crossing. "I'm flying my American flag today," she said. "I haven't flown it in a long time, and last night, before the election returns came in, I didn't know whether I would fly it again, or burn it in the fireplace, but I'm flying it." I feel the same way; the picture here is one of our flag flying over my neighborhood. I took this photo more than a year ago but have never used it until now.

The New York Times said today, in an editorial regarding Senator Obama's victory:

"His triumph was decisive and sweeping, because he saw what is wrong with this country: the utter failure of government to protect its citizens. He offered a government that does not try to solve every problem but will do those things beyond the power of individual citizens: to regulate the economy fairly, keep the air clean and the food safe, ensure that the sick have access to health care, and educate children to compete in a globalized world."

I could not agree more.

1 comment:

Lucidsandra said...

Dear Jann,
I don't like flags, but you have a very nice neighbourhood - and now also a president to be proud of :-)